How To Take Care Of Your Barong Dress ?Marifi R
Barong Tagalog or simply Barong is the national dress of the Philippines. Referred to as the ‘Baro ng Tagalog’, the tradition dates back to the Spanish Colonial era. As elegant as the dresses are, you would certainly want them to last forever. So, here are a few east to follow steps that will help you handle your Barong Tagalog with care:
How To Wash A Philippine Shirt Or Any Barong Dress?
- Mix mild soap with lukewarm water in order to prepare a solution.
- Dip the barong in this solution up and down.
- Remember not to wring or squeeze your dress.
- Take a soft toothbrush and scrub off the dirt patches on the collar and underneath the cuffs.
- Rinse the barong thoroughly and then roll in a towel. Do not twist your barong.
- Wash the white barong tagalog separately from other colored clothes.
How To Iron A Barong Tagalog?
- Hang the barong on a hanger.
- Ideally, go for a plastic hanger as a metal hanger might lead to rust and stains.
- This way, the water will simply drip off until the dress becomes damp.
- Set your iron on a low to medium setting.
- Start with ironing on the embroidered areas.
- After this, invert the barong inside out and iron the embroidery on the back.
- Keep a piece of white cloth between the barong and iron.
- Just like you iron any shirt, revert to the right side and iron the sleeves and collar.
- Now insert the narrow end of the ironing board inside the barong as you iron the front and back of your dress.
- Finally, the steam would rise from the fabric, and the wrinkles will go off.
- Repeat if required.